Records Unit Services

The Records Unit assists the public in transactions related to

  • requests for copies or to inspect police reports and other law enforcement records
  • requests to restrict (expunge) arrest records
  • requests for information regarding police-related activities in the Emory University community.

To access or obtain information or copies of reports and other information refer to the links below.

Criminal History Requests

How to Request a Criminal History Record Check

To request a criminal history record check, in accordance with the requirements below, download and complete the Criminal History Request form.

*During the COVID-19 pandemic, we have implemented a method to sumbit requests online. You will need to have a completed copy of the Criminal History Request Form and a clear copy of a government-issued photo ID. Send the completed form and clear copy of photo ID to our Communications Unit by clicking here.

Persons requesting checks of their own criminal history must present government-issued photo identification, proof of Emory affiliation, and a completed consent form.

More Information

A criminal history record is a record of an individual’s arrests (when the person actually went to jail) and the judicial disposition of those cases. It does not include traffic tickets or driver’s history records, which must be obtained directly from the Georgia Department of Drivers Services.

There is no charge for an Emory faculty member, staff, student, alumnus, or Healthcare employee who requests a check of their own criminal history record information. We regret that we are unable to provide this free service to persons not affiliated with Emory.

Under Georgia law, our department is only authorized, at the request of the individual, to check criminal history records created in the state of Georgia. Records of arrests or convictions from other states must be obtained from the appropriate authorities in those states.

Individual criminal history records will be delivered only to the individual requesting them. We regret that we cannot forward the results of our inquiries to third parties such as prospective employers.

We do not conduct criminal history record checks about third parties.

The Department reserves the right to delay or reject any request for a check of personal criminal history.

If you want to challenge the accuracy of the criminal history record you receive, you must contact the Georgia Crime Information Center. The GCIC FAQ on Obtaining Criminal History Record Information provides information on how to correct information on your criminal history. The Emory Police Department is not able to alter the content of any computerized criminal history record.

If you are an Emory employer and you want to arrange for our department to conduct pre-employment criminal history background checks on your behalf, you will need to complete the contact our Communications Manager for full instructions. If the request for pre-employment criminal history background checks for your department is approved, anyone who will have access to the information provided in the returns will be required to complete the GCIC Awareness Statement and submit the signed form to our Communications Unit.

Call 404.727.6115 if you have any questions or for additional information.

Request a Restriction (Expungement) of Arrest Records in Georgia

Georgia law (O.C.G.A. §35-3-37) provides for the restriction (expungement) of certain criminal history records for non-criminal justice purposes when approved by the prosecuting attorney.

There is no application process for arrests occurring July 1, 2013 or later. The prosecutor may approve the restriction at the time of sentencing.

For arrests that occurred prior to July 1, 2013, the applicant is required to apply for restriction at the arresting agency. If you were arrested by the Emory Police Department, before July 1, 2013, complete the Records Restriction Request and submit it in person at the Emory Police headquarters, 1784 North Decatur Road, Suite G-01, North Decatur Building, Atlanta, GA 30322 or by mail to the same address.

Public Records Requests

Georgia law (Official Code of Georgia, Annotated, § 20-8-7) provides for the inspection and copying of certain campus law enforcement records.  If you wish to examine Emory Police Department records in accord with this statute, you may file a request to do so.  A Public Records Request Form is available here.  Print the form, complete the required information, and bring it to the Emory Police Department.

This request cannot be processed unless the person making the request provides contact information, preferably including a physical address, an electronic address, and one or more telephone numbers.

If you have a deadline for your use of the information you seek, please allow us generous lead time to fulfill your request.  The Records Section does not have dedicated staff, and all of our records systems are not automated, so requests that require extensive research on our part may take some time to complete.  Please keep this in mind when formulating and submitting your requests.

Obtain a Copy of a Report

You will need to complete a Report Request Form in order to obtain a copy of a report. 

You can access the form HERE.   Print the form, complete the required information, and present it at the Police Department as described below.

Request a copy of a police report about your incident: 

  • There is no charge to parties named in a police report for a copy of the report.
  • Reports are normally available five business days after the day they were submitted.
  • Reports are distributed in person, by email, or by US Postal Service.  We are not permitted to fax reports.
  • We reserve the right to redact information not appropriate for public distribution from any copy of any report.

Request a copy of a police report about someone you represent: 

  • These requests must be received in writing on letterhead, indicating by case number what report is being sought, and what party you represent.
  • A service fee of five (5) dollars may be applied to these requests.